Georgian Court University is a leading regional university that provides a transformative education, preparing students for ethical leadership and service in the Catholic Mercy tradition.
Georgian Court University, founded and sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, provides comprehensive liberal arts education in the Roman Catholic
tradition. The university has a special concern for women and is a dynamic
community committed to the core values of justice, respect, integrity, service,
and compassion, locally and globally. Georgian Court University provides
students with: a curriculum broad enough to be truly liberal, yet specialized
enough to support further study and future careers; an environment for the
entire university community to grow through shared educational, cultural,
social, and spiritual experiences; and the will to translate concern for social
justice into action.
The university is committed to the Mercy core values of justice, respect, integrity, service, and compassion.
- Respect: We reverence the dignity of all persons and all life as gifts of God and strive to promote community in our world.
- Integrity: We believe that fidelity to moral principles, honesty, and sincerity are the basis of trustworthiness in all encounters.
- Justice: We believe ordering of right relationships with all persons and all creation is fundamental to our advocacy for structures that protect the vulnerable.
- Compassion: We embrace the joys and sorrows of others to whom and with whom we minister and are moved to action in solidarity with the human community.
- Service: We joyfully extend our energy and resources on behalf of the poor, sick and uneducated, working to relieve misery and address its causes where possible.
These values are the roots from which Georgian Court University activities, decisions, and behaviors flow.
Strategic Initiatives and Goals
For the Georgian Court University Strategic Plan 2012-2017 to be successful, Georgian Court University must follow through to incorporate these initiatives into our everyday management, operations, and decision making. This approach will transform the institution from our present reality toward realization of our future vision. Thus, Georgian Court University will become a catalyst and crucible for change, inviting and involving all stakeholders to the table as contributors as well as beneficiaries. This approach reflects the notion of citizenship imbedded in the statements of mission, vision, and core values. Citizenship in its truest sense involves a shared responsibility and contribution to the welfare of the entire community.
The Visioning and Planning Committee outlined the following four Strategic Initiatives in the Georgian Court University Strategic Plan 2012-2017 that have the greatest potential for advancing the institution, engaging the university community, and bringing the vision statement to fruition.
- Strategic Initiative I: Rebrand Georgian Court University to Reflect its Mission
The university will enhance its image and position itself as a regional university in the Catholic Mercy tradition.
- Strategic Initiative II: Promote Transformative Education
The university will promote academic excellence through teaching and learning innovation, and transformational educational experiences.
- Strategic Initiative III: Optimize Enrollment
The university will optimize student enrollment to develop successful graduates in the Catholic Mercy tradition and achieve institutional self-sufficiency.
- Strategic Initiative IV: Strengthen Leadership, Planning, Technology, and Governance
The university will achieve long-term stability by bolstering its human capital, physical, and financial infrastructure through rigorous planning, careful assessment, prudent financial oversight, and management practices.