Admissions Banner

Admissions: Graduate: FAQ

First time enrolling in graduate school? Here's a look at the basic things you need to apply for admission. Depending on your program, there may be other requirements.

  1. Completed application for admission
  2. Check or money order (nonrefundable) for $40 made payable to Georgian Court University
  3. A statement of objectives discussing your academic and professional goals
  4. Sealed and signed envelopes containing the official transcripts of each undergraduate and graduate institution you have attended. If the original seal has been broken the transcript is then considered to be unofficial and cannot be accepted for use toward your application.
  5. Three letters of recommendation written by persons who can comment from personal knowledge on your academic and /or professional qualifications for graduate study. Recommendations from friends and family members are not acceptable.
  6. A copy of standardized test scores taken within five years preceding application to a GCU Graduate Program.
  7. Education degree candidates (certified teachers) must submit a copy of their standard certification.

What GCU graduate programs are available?
Georgian Court offers 10 master's degrees and many postbaccaulareate and post-master's certification and certificate programs. See our full listing online.

My life is really busy right now. How can GCU help me balance graduate school and everything else I have going on? See our Grad Options.
All graduate programs and certificates are offered at Georgian Court's historic Lakewood campus. The M.S. in Homeland Security and the M.A. in Holistic Health Studies, as well as the GCU Certificate in Holistic Health Studies are also available 100% online.

GCU also offers three graduate options at New Jersey Coastal Communiversity in Wall:

  • Master of Arts in Administration and Leadership
  • Master of Arts in Education, Elementary Education K–5 with Teacher of Students with Disabilities endorsement
  • Master of Arts in Education, Elementary Education K–5 with Specific Subject 5–8 with Teacher of Students with Disabilities endorsement

I'm not quite sure which graduate degree I want to pursue. How can I get more information?
Check out our graduate programs, and complete our convenient online inquiry form. You can also attend a Graduate Information Session, where program advisors, admissions counselors, faculty and graduate students are happy to answer questions.

How long will it take to me to complete graduate school?
Each of GCU's 10 master's degree programs is different. Check your individual program of interest for the required number of credits and practicum hours.

I want to enroll in a GCU certificate program. What are my options, and what do I need to apply?
Not to be confused with New Jersey state certification, GCU also offers many certificate programs in other areas. Check your specific program of interest for details.

What are the requirements for programs leading to New Jersey State Education Certification and for non-degree programs?
In addition to providing the basic graduate school admissions materials ($40 application fee, completed graduate application), students pursuing New Jersey State Education Certification must submit a copy of their New Jersey Teacher Certification and official transcripts from every undergraduate institution (and graduate transcripts for post-master's certificates). In addition to the application fee and completed graduate application, non-matriculating students must provide documentation to verify eligibility to receive graduate credits, which may be a copy of a diploma from an accredited college or university, a copy of a teaching certificate, or an official transcript from an accredited institution. Non-matriculating students who later choose to apply for matriculation should be aware that credits taken prior to matriculation may not be applicable to current program requirements.

I'm ready to enroll. What are the deadlines for applying to graduate school?
Most GCU graduate programs have rolling deadlines, except for the M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and M.A. in School Psychology; the application deadline for those programs is June 1 and students are only admitted during the fall semester. Also, the M.A. in Applied Behavior Analysis program begins in the summer, but has rolling admissions until the start of the program. You can read more about the timeline for graduate admissions.

I'm an international student. How do I enroll at GCU?
If you're an international student who needs an I-20 form to attend college in the United States, you must apply for admission as a full-time student at least six months in advance of your planned start date. If English is not your native language, you will need to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), scoring a minimum of 550 on the paper test, 213 on the computer-based test, or 79 on the Internet-based test to be considered for admission. You must have your coursework from a foreign university evaluated by World Education Services (WES) at Comprehensive course-by-course evaluations must be submitted to GCU, and the applicant is responsible for paying WES for this service. International applicants must submit documentation from banks and employers to show that they possess the financial resources needed to meet the costs of attending GCU; this includes an Application for I-20 Form (pdf) and an original, notarized Sponsor's Affidavit (pdf). An I-20 Form will be issued to you upon payment of a USD$1,000 tuition deposit (payable by credit card (pdf). After you receive the I-20 Form, you must pay a U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services' Student and Exchange Visitor Information Systems (SEVIS) I-901 fee of USD$200 prior to your interview at the U.S. Embassy for your student visa. For more information about this process, visit GCU does not provide housing for graduate students; they are responsible for their own accommodations and transportation. GCU is authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students.

What tests are required for graduate school admission?
Many graduate programs at GCU do not require a standardized test. For the M.A. in Administration and Leadership and M.A. in Education programs, there is no test required for certified teachers only; however, those who are not certified teachers require the NTE/Praxis II, MAT, or GRE. For the M.A. in Counseling Psychology program, the MAT or GRE-General are accepted. The MAT is required for the M.A. in School Psychology program.

How can I finance my graduate school education?
The Georgian Court University Office of Financial Aid helps matriculated graduate students in processing student loan applications, and offers a limited number of graduate assistantships, which may require a separate application and interview, are available. For information, contact the GCU Office of Financial Aid at 732.987.2200, ext. 2258/2253.

© Georgian Court University • 900 Lakewood Ave, Lakewood, NJ 08701 (Best address for GPS is 517 Ninth Street, Lakewood, NJ 08701) • 800·458·8422