B.S. in Accounting
The B.S. in Accounting is intended for students who wish to enter the accounting profession, pursue graduate study in accounting, or prepare for the CPA examination. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of accountants and auditors is expected to grow by 22 percent between 2008 and 2018, which is much faster than the average for all occupations.
The curriculum, based on a strong liberal arts foundation, offers broad business and accounting perspectives, as well as technical accounting knowledge. For specific academic requirements, please consult the course catalog. The accounting curriculum prepares students for careers in auditing, corporate accounting, government accounting, nonprofit accounting, and taxation. Students can find more information about opportunities in New Jersey for accountants at the New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants.
GCU Accounting Students:
- Quickly pass the CPA exam and are recruited by top firms.
- Learn from experienced professionals and accomplished professors.
- Follow an innovative, experiential curriculum that translates into practical analytical, management, communication, and sales skills.
- Earn higher starting pay and experience shorter job searches with more job choices.
- Explore the information economy, the global business environment, and International Account Standards in addition to US GAAP.
- Get the skills to develop new business and build strong client relationships.
|Courses are listed below:
- EC181 Principles of Macroeconomics (required General Education course)
- EC182 Principles of Microeconomics (required General Education course)
- BU241 Principles of Marketing
- BU311 Business Law
- BU313 Management Theory and Organizational Behavior
- BU335 Financial Management I
- BU450 Internship and Career Preparation
- BU451 Internship
- BU491 Business Strategies and Policy
- AC171 Principles of Accounting I
- AC172 Principles of Accounting II
- AC271 Managerial Accounting for Business
- AC272 Intermediate Accounting I
- AC273 Intermediate Accounting II
- AC372 Cost Accounting and Budgetary Control
- AC373 Auditing, Attestation, and Corporate Governance
- AC471 Federal Taxation I
- AC472 Federal Taxation II
- AC473 Governmental and Not-for-Profit Accounting
- BU121 Quantitative Business Concepts
- BU221 Business Statistics and Probability
- IS224 Computing and Information Systems in Business
- AC371 Accounting Information Systems
Consider some of GCU's recent successes:
- Maria Bolton '11 received a coveted $4,000 scholarship in Spring 2010 from the New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants (NJSCPA). In 2008, Maria returned to college after a 22-year absence to complete a B.S. in Accounting. "I was unsure of how I would do after a long absence, but it was as though I haven’t missed a beat," she said. "I have a renewed appreciation for the value of a good education. I am thrilled to be back and fortunate to have chosen Georgian Court University. The School of Business has an amazing faculty with impressive credentials, and I have benefited immensely from their guidance and tutelage".
- Teresa Wetmore '10 was selected for a free CPA review course by Becker CPA Review Company. There are only 50 awards of this type given out in the country each year. This is only the latest of Teresa's achievements, which include a Phi Theta Kappa and NJSCPA scholarship. She also completed two accounting internships while a student at GCU.
- Mary Taggart '06, a graduate of GCU's accounting program, scored a 99% in the extremely challenging audit and attestation portion of the CPA exam.
Teresa Wetmore '10
"Georgian Court has not only provided me an extremely well-rounded and exceptional level of education, but it has also increased my level of self-confidence as a professional as well as a woman. The experiences with my classroom studies and relationships with both my peers as well as professors and administration have changed my life and given me the motivation and determination to accomplish any and every goal I have dreamed of. I hope that many more students get to receive the quality of education and life experience I have at Georgian Court."