M.A. in Education - Reading Specialist
Please refer to the most recent GCU Graduate Catalog for updated program information.
program is designed for M.A. candidates who wish to be reading specialists or
literacy coaches. The curriculum is primarily referenced to the
International Reading Association Standards and the New Jersey Core Curriculum Content
Standards. Upon completion of the program, students are eligible for New
Jersey certification as a Reading Specialist. A certification examination
is not required.
Current alums include professionals who are employed in New Jersey school districts as Reading Specialists, and a large number of classroom teachers who have completed the program to increase their knowledge of teaching literacy to better serve the students they instruct on a daily basis.
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Completion of requirements for admission into the School of Education as outlined in the GCU Graduate Catalog.
- New Jersey Teaching Certification
- Two years teaching experience is required for NJ Reading Specialist Certificate, but is not required for admission to GCU’s M.A. in Education, Reading Specialist Program.
Course Sequence – 33 credits*
- EDC5001 Philosophical and Psychological Foundations of Inclusive Education
EDC5010 Curricular Leadership for the Inclusive School
EDC5014 Methods of Research for Leaders in Inclusive Schools
EDC5201 Nature of the Reading Process
EDC5202 Literature for Children and Youth
EDC5203 Reading and Writing in the Content Areas
EDC5027 Literacy for Second Language Learners
EDC5204 Articulation, Supervision and Evaluation of Reading Programs
EDC6201 Assessment and Diagnoses of Reading Problems
EDC6202 Research-Based Techniques for the Correction of Reading Problems
EDC6084 Reading Practicum
Program Advisor: Dr. Kathleen Froriep