Anna King, Ph.D.
Sociology, Anthropology, Criminal Justice
- Ph.D. University of Cambridge (Criminology)
- M.A. SUNY Albany (Criminal Justice)
- B.A. Clark University (Psychology & Theater Arts)
- Papers in Refereed Journals
- 2011 “Shoplifting, Women and Agency.” Caputo, Gail & Anna King. Feminist Criminology, 6 (3): 159- 177.
- 2009 ‘Is a Liberal Just a Conservative Who Has Not Been Mugged?: Exploring the Origins of Punitive Views.’ King, Anna & Shadd Maruna. Punishment and Society. 11 (2): 147-169.
- 2009 ‘Once a Criminal, Always a Criminal?: ‘Redeemability’ and the Psychology of Punitive Public Attitudes.’ Maruna, Shadd & Anna King. European Journal of Criminal Policy and Research. 15:7-24.
- 2008 ‘Keeping a Safe Distance: Individualism and the Less Punitive Public.’ King, Anna. British Journal of Criminology. 48: 190-208.
- 2008 ‘Selling the Public on Probation: Community Justice and the Legitimacy Gap.’ Maruna, Shadd & Anna King. The Probation Journal. 55 (4): 337-351.
- 2008 ‘Giving Up on the Young: A Commentary.’ Maruna, Shadd & Anna King. Current Issues in Criminal Justice. 20 (1):129-134.
- 2004 ‘Disowning our Shadow: a Psychoanalytic Approach to Understanding Punitive Public Attitudes,’ Maruna, Shadd, Amanda Matravers & Anna King. Deviant Behavior, 25: 277-299.
- 2007 Reprinted in Helmut Kury (Ed.) Fear of Crime and Attitudes to Punishment: New Developments in Theory and Research. Universitaetsverlag Brockmeyer: Bochum.
- Book Chapters
- 2010 ‘Shame, Materialism, and Moral Indignation in the East of England: an Empirical Look at Ranulf’s Thesis,’ King, Anna & Shadd Maruna. in S. Karstedt, I. Loader and H. Strang Emotions, Crime and Justice. (eds.) Oxford: Hart Publishing. (forthcoming)
- 2009 ‘Youth, Crime and Punitive Public Opinion: Hopes and Fears for the Next Generation,’ Maruna, Shadd & Anna King. in M. Barry and F. McNeill (eds), Youth Offending and Youth Justice, pp. 180-208, London, Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
- 2005 ‘The Function of Fiction for a Punitive Public,’ King, Anna & Shadd Maruna. in Mason, Paul (ed.), Captured by the Media: Prison Discourse in Popular Culture, pp. 16-30, Cullompton, Willan Publishing.
- 2009 Reprinted in Yvonne Jewkes (Ed.) Crime and Media. 2nd edition. Sage.
- 2004 ‘Public Opinion and Community Sanctions,’ Maruna, Shadd & Anna King. in A. E. Bottoms, S. A. Rex and G. Robinson (eds.) Alternatives to Prison, pp. 83-112, Cullompton, Devon: Willan Publishing.
- 2007 Reprinted in Helmut Kury (ed.) Fear of Crime and Attitudes to Punishment: New Developments in Theory and Research. Universitaetsverlag Brockmeyer: Bochum.
- Other Works
- 2007 ‘Book review: Neither Angels nor Demons: Women, Crime and Victimization’ by Kathleen L. Ferraro, reviewed for Law and Politics Book Review. King, Anna.
- 2005 ‘Mentor Survey for the Trail-Blazers Mentoring Programme HMYOI Feltham’ Maruna, Shadd, Anna King & Fenna van Merle. University of Cambridge, Institute of Criminology, November 28, 1-23 pp.
- 2004 ‘Vigilante Violence’ King, Anna & Shadd Maruna. in R. Wright and J. M. Miller (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Criminology, Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- Research Methods in Criminal Justice
- Ethical issues in Criminal Justice
- Women & Crime
- The Criminal Justice System
- Juvenile Justice
- Introduction to Corrections
- Theories of Crime and Delinquency
- Understanding Terrorism
- Varieties of Crime
- Attitudes towards Crime and Punishment
- Crime and the Mass Media
- Psychology of Public Opinion on Crime and Punishment
- Economic Strategies of Drug Addicted Women
- Residential Strategies for at Risk Youth
- The Impact of Criminal Justice Legislation on Victims
Service to the University:
- 2012 Arts & Sciences Curriculum Committee
Why I Love GCU:
- The Mercy Mission and Tradition
- The Students and Faculty
- The Small and Individualized Culture