Jacqueline Kress, Ed.D.
Raymond Hall 104
Lakewood – Thursdays 1-3:30 Communiversity – Mondays 2-4:00
School of Education
|Vita(PDF): Jacqueline Kress
Educational Background and Certifications:
- Doctor of Education, Rutgers, The State University, 1987
Metacognitive Strategies for Reading Tests Validated by Eye Movements and Self-Report
Evelyn Headley Award for Outstanding Dissertation
Rutgers Graduate School of Education, 1987
- Master of Arts, Kean College of New Jersey, 1979
Thesis (May 1979)
A Comparison of the Readability of Materials Commonly Used by Adults with the Average Adult Reading Level in the United States
- Bachelor of Arts, Magna Cum Laude, Kean College of New Jersey, 1975
Early Childhood Education
- State of New Jersey Department of Education
Permanent Teaching Certificates and Endorsements:
Teacher of Reading Elementary Teacher
Nursery School Teacher
- Fry, Edward and Kress, Jacqueline. The Reading Teacher's Book of Lists. 5th Ed. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass/John Wiley, 2006.
- Fry, Edward, Kress, Jacqueline, and Fountoukidis, Dona. The Reading Teacher's Book of Lists. 4th Ed. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 2000. (First edition published in 1984; second edition published in 1985, third edition published in 1993.)
- Kress, Jacqueline E. The ESL/ELL Teacher's Book of Lists. 2nd Ed. San Francisco, CA, Jossey-Bass Teacher, an imprint of John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 2008.
- Kress, Jacqueline E. The ESL Teacher's Book of Lists. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall (Center for Applied Research in Education), 1993.
- Kress, Jacqueline. New Jersey Centers for Collegiate Deaf Education: A development model. In Celebrate in '88...AHSSPPE and All that Jazz. Proceedings of the 1988 AHSSPPE Conference in New Orleans. Columbus, OH: Association on Handicapped Student Service Programs in Post-Secondary Education, 1988.
- Kress, Jacqueline. Planning statewide improvement in special academic services in higher education. In Celebrate in '88...AHSSPPE and All that Jazz. Proceedings of the 1988 AHSSPPE Conference in New Orleans. Columbus, OH: Association on Handicapped Student Service Programs in Post-secondary Education, 1988.
- Kress Polk, Jacqueline. The Readability Machine User's Manual for Apple II and Apple-Compatible Microcomputers. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Business and Professional Division, 1986.
- Kress Polk, Jacqueline. The Readability Machine User's Manual for Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 4 Microcomputers. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Business/Professional Division, 1986.
- Polk, Jacqueline. Planning effective support programs for college students with learning disabilities. Comprehensive Support Programs for Special Needs College Students. Proceedings of the New Jersey Higher Education Council for Learning Disabilities, Montclair State College/NJ Depart. of Higher Education, 1984.
- Kress Polk, Jacqueline. (Editor). New Jersey Reading Association Newsletter (1983-85)
- Polk, Jacqueline, and Valentine, Thomas. Comparative study of communication satisfaction of elementary school teachers and teachers of adult basic education. Eastern Educational Research Association Annual Conference Proceedings. Baltimore, Maryland: EERA, 1983.
- Polk, Jacqueline. Teaching for graphic literacy in Proceedings of the Annual Conference at Chicago. Newark, Delaware: International Reading Association, 1982.
- Polk, Jacqueline. It's like a bus, but...Vocabulary development and schema theory. Joint Conference Proceedings. New Jersey Reading Association and Kean College of New Jersey, 1982.
- Kress Polk, Jacqueline (Editor). Strategies for Reading and Learning. New Brunswick, New Jersey: Rutgers University, 1981.
- ED3206 Instruction in Literacy for Inclusive Elementary Education II
- EDC5211 Instruction in Literacy for Inclusive Elementary Education II
- Reading and Literacy Instruction
- English as a Second Language Instruction
- Higher Education Assessment and Accountability
- Higher Education Accreditation
- Higher Education Quality Improvement
- Curriculum Development in Higher Education
Service to University:
- Faculty Assembly 2007 - present
- Dean, School of Education 2007-2012
- Provost Council 2007-2012
- Council of Deans 2007-2012
- Off-site Taskforce 2007-2011
- Academic Strategic Plan, Chair, 2011
- Middle States Self-Study Committee
- University Planning Committee
- Faculty Search Committees
- Deans Search Committees
Why I Love GCU:
- GCU is a model for life-long-learning: a 100+ year-old institution renewing itself to meet the challenges of the new century. The walled campus is a perfect setting for reflection on the important questions.