Paul Cappucci, Ph.D.
Mercedes Rm. 301
Monday thru Thursday 1-2p.m.
Department of English
- Ph.D. in English Literature, 1998 Drew University, Madison, NJ
- M.Phil. in English Literature, 1997 Drew University, Madison, NJ
- M.A. in English Literature, 1993 The College of New Jersey, Trenton, NJ
- B.A. in English Literature, 1990 King's College, Wilkes-Barre, PA
- “'Trying to Build on Their Elders’ Work': The Correspondence of Donald Allen and William Carlos Williams." The New American Poetry: Fifty Years Later. Ed. John R. Woznicki. Bethlehem, PA: Lehigh University Press, 2014.
- "A Libretto in Search of Music: The Strain of Collaborative Creation in William Carlos Williams's The First President."Journal of Modern Literature 36.2 (2013): 80-104.
- William Carlos Williams, Frank O’Hara, and the New York Art Scene. Madison, NJ: Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 2010.
- William Carlos Williams’s Poetic Response to the 1913 Paterson Silk Strike. Lewiston, New York: Edwin Mellen Press, 2002.
- “Jackson Pollock’s ‘Blobs of Paint’ in the Poetry of William Carlos Williams and Frank O’Hara.” The Legacy of William Carlos Williams: Points of Contact. Ed. Ian Copestake. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2007. 116-133.
- “‘A Blossoming of the Spirit’: William Carlos Williams, Emanuel Romano, and the Authenticity of Artistic Expression.” William Carlos Williams Review 29.1 (2009): 15-27.
- Comments from panel “Still Getting the News from Poems: WCW in the 21st Century” at the 2008 William Carlos Williams Symposium. William Carlos Williams Review 29.1 (2009): 94-95.
- “Down from the Crow’s Nest: Herman Melville’s Battle Pieces and Aspects of the War.” War,Literature, and the Arts 17.1-2 (2005): 162-169.
- “The ‘Wash’d-up drift” of Poetic Ideals: Disunion as Poetic Failure in Walt Whitman’s ‘As I Ebb’d with the Ocean of Life.” Journal X 8.1 (2003): 33-41.
- “‘And Everyone and I Stopped Breathing’: William Carlos Williams, Frank O’Hara, and the News of the Day in Verse.” Papers on Language and Literature 39.4 (2003): 375-389.
- “Negotiating the 1930s: William Carlos Williams’s Struggle with Politics and Art on his Way to Paterson.” The Journal of Imagism Fall (1999): 3-21.
- “Depicting the Oblique: Emily Dickinson's Poetic Response to the Civil War.” War,Literature, and the Arts 10.1 (1998): 260-273.
- “Wallace Stevens' `God is Good. It is a Beautiful Night'” The Explicator 55.1
- Six Modernist Moments in Poetry by David Young. William Carlos Williams Review. 27.1
- Reprinting of The Great American Novel. William Carlos Williams Review. 25.1 (2005): 93-94.
- 19th Century American Literature, 20th Century American Poetry
Service to the University
- Chair, Department of English (Summer/Fall 2008; Fall 2009-2013)
Why I Love GCU
- G.C.U offers a welcoming setting for all those who step on its campus. I love the fact that students and professors have a genuine opportunity to connect to each other. This connection can foster an amazing learning experience both in and outside the classroom. It has been a joy to participate in that experience and witness the progression of so many highly motivated individuals as they pursue their academic and personal goals.