Lakewood, N.J., April 11, 2016—Tap your toes as the Chorale at Georgian Court University presents their annual spring concert on Saturday, April 30, at 7:00 p.m. The performance will be held in the Casino Auditorium on GCU’s historic Lakewood campus.
In addition to a medley of selections from the musical Pippin, this year’s spring concert program will feature:
- “Liebeslieder Walzer (Love Song Waltzes)” by Johannes Brahms (sung in German)
- “St. Louis Blues,” by W. C. Handy, arranged by Kirby Shaw
- “Gloria in Excelsis” from Twelfth Mass, by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- “Ride the Chariot,” a spiritual arranged by William Henry Smith
- “The Royal Wedding (Kyrie)” by George Genton (from the 1998 film Ever After: A Cinderella Story)
- “The Heavens Are Telling” from The Creation, by Joseph Haydn
- “You Raise Me Up,” a duet by Rolf Lovland and Brendan Graham
GCU Chorale singers are from the local and regional community and include men and women of all ages who travel from as far away as Princeton, Fair Lawn, and Little Egg Harbor to sing with the group. Karen Mullhall, director of the chorale, notes that the recent addition of several young singers has added to the diversity of the ensemble.
Ms. Mullhall is excited about doing both the Liebeslieder waltzes and the Pippin medley.
“I have wanted to do them for 20 years and now is the time,” she says. “The varying styles of the romantic waltz music and the jazz-oriented music of Pippin will be crowd pleasers.”
Tickets, which can be purchased at the door, are $15 for general admission; $10 for seniors; and free for students and GCU community members with ID. For more information, please call 732-948-9464.
Founded in 1908 and sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, Georgian Court University is South Jersey’s only Catholic university. GCU is a comprehensive, coeducational university with a strong liberal arts core and an historic, special concern for women. As a forward-thinking university that supports diversity and academic excellence, Georgian Court expands possibility for more than 2,300 students of all faiths and backgrounds in 30+ undergraduate majors and 10 graduate programs. The main campus is located at 900 Lakewood Avenue, Lakewood, New Jersey, on the picturesque former George Jay Gould estate, a National Historic Landmark. Georgian Court also serves students at New Jersey Coastal Communiversity in Wall and through multiple online certificate and degree programs.