Sachiko Komagata, PT, PhD, NBC-HWC, ACSM-CEP
Associate Professor in Integrative Health / Program Director of Integrative Health / Director of Advising
Hackensack-Meridan Health School of Nursing and Wellness at GCU
Integrative Health & Exercise Science
Wellness Center Rm 527
- Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- PhD, Dept. of Physical Therapy May 2004
- MPT, Dept. of Physical Therapy May 1993
- Japan Women’s College of Physical Education, Tokyo, Japan
- Bachelor of Physical Education March 1986
- Georgian Court University, Lakewood, NJ
- Associate Professor (2011 to present)
- Director of Advising (2020 to present)
- Chair of the Dept. of Integrative Health (formerly Holistic Health, PE) & Exercise Science (2010 to 2022)
- Acting Program Director of Exercise Science (2008-2009)
- Program Director of Holistic Health (2006-2010)
- Assistant Professor (2004 to 2011)
- University of Medicine and Dentistry in NJ, Stratford, NJ
- Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Rehabilitation & Movement Science (2003)
- Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
- Clinical Instructor in Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy (2000-2002)
- Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- Instructor in Clinical Examination & Interventions II, Musculoskeletal Dysfunction II & Neuroscience I (2002)
- Graduate Assistant in Psychosocial Aspects of Illness and Wellness Behaviors, Clinical Examination and Interventions I, & Movement Science (2001)
- Teaching Practicum in Behavioral Science II (Professional Ethics) (2000)
- Neumann University (formally known as Neumann College), Aston, PA
- Lab Instructor/Guest Lecturer in Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation (1998)
- Bryn Mawr Rehab Services, Main Line Health, Jefferson Health System (1993-2001)
- Clinical Team Leader (2000-2001) at Bryn Mawr Hospital
- Clinical Specialist at Lankenau Hospital (1996-2000)
- Co-Center Coordinator of Clinical Education (1996-2000)
- Clinical Instructor (1994-2000)
- Cardiopulmonary Clinical Specialist at Lankenau Hospital
- Senior Physical Therapist in Cardiac Service at Lankenau Hospital (1994-1996)
- Staff Physical Therapist at Lankenau Hospital (1993-1994)
Research / Creativity Interest Area
- Integrative Health and Quality of Life
- Integrative Women’s Health
- Intergenerational Healing
- Mindfulness Practice
- Qigong / Tai Chi / Oriental Medicine
- Komagata, S. (Sept. 2021). Academic Advising as Meaningful Intergenerational Dialogue Opportunity. Academic Advising Today.
- Shoulder Complex. (Chapt. 5. pp. 137-197) In Neumann, D. A. (2018). Kinesiology of the Musculoskeletal System: Foundations for Rehabilitation. Elsevier/Ishiyaku Shuppan. [Translation from English to Japanese].
- Komagata, S. (Aug. 2008). Five tips for swimming successfully against non-holistic culture. Edge Life Magazine.
- Komagata, N. & Komagata, S. (2008). Ava’s Bedside: Making Sense Through Attachment. Morrisville, NC: Lulu.com.
- Komagata, N. & Komagata, S. (2007). The Mind-Body Connection Behind Holistic Approaches to Health: Recent Advancements and Current Limitations. Ewing, NJ: Nobo & Sachiko Komagata.
- Komagata S, & Newton R. (2003). The Effectiveness of Tai Chi on Improving Balance in Older Adults: An Evidence-based Review. Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy. 26(2):9-16.
- Komagata, S. (Jan. 9, 2023). Let’s qigong. Manchester Branch of Ocean County Library, Manchester, NJ.
- Komagata, S. (April 2022). __ is Medicine. 11th Annual Wellness Expo at Georgian Court University at Georgian Court University, Lakewood, NJ.
- Komagata, S. (Oct. 23, 2021). Meditation through activities of daily living. 10th Annual Wellness Expo at Georgian Court University, Lakewood, NJ.
- Komagata, S. (2020, November). Compassionate Health and Wellness Coaching. 9th Annual Virtual Wellness Expo at Georgian Court University, Lakewood, NJ.
- Komagata, S. (2019, April 25). The Effect of Integrative Self Care on One’s Well-being: Whole Systems Research Methods. Faculty Scholarly Day Sponsored by NASA NJ Space Grant. Georgian Court University, Lakewood, NJ.
- Komagata, S. (2019, April 4). Holistic Self-Care Strategies without Endodontic Procedures: A Case of a 50-Year-Old Woman with Irreversible Pulpitis. Celebration of Faculty Scholarship at Georgian Court University, Lakewood, NJ.
- Komagata, S. (2019, February 21-23). Holistic Self-Care Strategies without Endodontic Procedures: A Case of a 50-Year-Old Woman with Irreversible Pulpitis. Poster Presentation. Integrative Healthcare Symposium, New York, NY.
- Komagata, S. (2015, October). Holistic Self-Care Approaches for Inflammation: A case of Transforming Toothache Emergency into Self-Healing Opportunity. Mid-Atlantic College Health Association Annual Meeting 2015, Atlantic City, NJ.
- Komagata, S. (2015, June). Day 1: Primer of biofield energy therapies—We are energy! and Day 3: Movement-based biofield energy modalities—We are vibrations of energy flow! Integrative Health Academy of National Wellness Institute Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- Komagata, S. (2015, May). Holistic self-care strategies without endodontic procedures: A case of 50 years old woman with Irreversible Pulpitis. Spring Research Forum, Georgian Court University, Lakewood, NJ.
- Komagata, S. (2015, April). Mindful living towards healing. 25th Annual Art & Science of Health Promotion Conference. San Diego, CA.
- Komagata, S. (2015, April). Holistic self-care strategies without endodontic procedures: A case of 50 years old woman with Irreversible Pulpitis. Poster Session presented at the 25th Annual Art & Science of Health Promotion Conference. San Diego, CA.
- Gopoyan ,G., Nieto, A., Petrillo, M., Terrizzi, F., Tisony, E. (April 26, 2022). Face covering practice at Georgian Court University during Covid-19 pandemic. Academic Excellence Celebration. Student Research Presentation at Georgian Court University, Lakewood, NJ.
- Pattermann, T. (June 6-11, 2022). Nurses perceived preparedness for coping through crisis: The impact of attending a holistic program and obtaining board certification. American Holistic Nurses Association’s 42nd Annual Conference at Albuquerque, New Mexico. [Poster presentation of her final research project in MA in Integrative Health at GCU]
- Semente, C. (2019, April 11). An Autobiographical Approach to Treating Crohn’s Disease the Natural Way: Can Crohn’s Disease be Managed by Means of an Individual’s Nutritional Approach? Academic Excellence Celebration Student Research Presentation at Georgian Court University, Lakewood, NJ.
- Barcalow, K. (2017). Effects of yoga practice on disruptive classroom behaviors on fourth grade students. ACSM-GNYRC Spring Meeting [Poster Presentation].
- Stofko, J. (2016). The effect of yoga on children’s attention. ACSM-GNYRC meeting, New York: NY. [Oral Presentation]
- Brooke, L. (2015, May). Mindful Living vs. ADD/ADHD. Presented at Academic Excellence Night, Georgian Court University, Lakewood, NJ.
- Sicurella, E. (2013). Menopause—A Time for Reflection. Journal of International Women’s Studies. 14(3): 286-291.
- Bruguier, E. (2008). Allied Health and Nursing Academic Programs at New Jersey county colleges: Holistic Health and Complementary and Alternative Medicine Content. Complementary Health Practice Review, 13(3), 155-170.
- Physical Therapist License
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, PT008093L (Inactive since 2015) (Since Sep. 1993)
- State of New Jersey, 40QA01005800 (Since May 2002 to Present)
- ACSM Certified Clinical Exercise Physiologist (Formally known as Clinical Exercise Specialist as well as Exercise Specialist) (Nov. 1995- Present)
- Tai Chi for Health Institute’s Certified Tai Chi for Rehabilitation Instructor/Leader (May 2018 – Present)
- National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC) (Mar. 2020 – Present)
- Catalyst Coaching Institute’s Certified Wellness Coach (Sept. 2019)
- Catalyst Coaching Institute’s Master Certified Wellness Coach (Oct. 2019)
- ASTHO’s Making Contact: A Training for Covid-19 Contact Tracers (Nov. 2020)
- Virginia Graham Teaching Excellence Award (May 2021)
- Friend of Nursing Award, Psi Psi Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing for the contributions to the long term significance of the chapter, nursing profession, and health of people within local and regional (April 2018)
- Technology and Teaching Award on developing new 100% online MA in Holistic Health program as well as participating in iPad faculty initiative to implement various tools into teaching, Georgian Court University, Lakewood, NJ (June 2013)
- First Place Award on Poster presentation at a Celebration of Learner-Centered Education, Georgian Court University, Lakewood, NJ (May 2010)
- Rachelle DiSalvio Memorial Scholarship Award for Senior Physical Therapy Student of Outstanding Character, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA (1992)
- Kappa Omicron Nu (KON) Notional Honor Society, Alpha Nu Epsilon Chapter at GCU (Nov. 2020 to Present)
- Alpha Sigma Lambda National Honor Society, Kappa Zelta Chapter at GCU (April 2015 to Present)
- Tai Chi for Health Institute Board Certified Instructor/member (May 2018 to Present)
- American College of Sports Medicine (November 2016 to Present)
- American Physical Therapy Association (1991 – Present)
- Women’s Health Section 2005 – 2010
- Geriatric Section 2002 – 2010
- Neurology Section 2001 – 2005
- Education Section 1996 – 2010
- Orthopedic Section 1996 – 2005
- Cardiopulmonary Section 1995 – 2005
- National Wellness Institute (June 2011 – July 2022)
- Georgian Court University Faculty Fellowship Grant ($1,000) (April 2022)
- Georgian Court University Summer Research Grant ($3,100) (May 2019)
- Georgian Court University Faculty Mini Grant ($500) (April 2014)
- Georgian Court University Faculty Mini Grant ($600) (April 2011)