Institutional Assessment and Accreditation
Assessment of University Units
Periodic assessment of the effectiveness of all areas of the university, addressed within the context of its mission and goals, is an expectation that ensures the institution meets the quality assurances and standards of best practices in higher education. Conducted within a culture of ethical practice and institutional integrity, university assessment and periodic evaluation allows for continuous improvement and self-monitoring. Transparency in releasing assessment results ensures accountability both internally and externally to all constituencies. Georgian Court University is committed to the practice of university assessment at all levels of its organization.
The university’s Assessment Plan and Guide (PDF file) outlines the processes and procedures for unit assessment and periodic evaluation. This plan was approved by the President’s Cabinet on January 23, 2018. This replaces the Institutional Effectiveness Plan of 2014.
The Institutional Effectiveness (IE) Committee, appointed by the president, supports the goal to “develop a culture of planning and assessment to ensure maximum efficiency and effectiveness in the management of the University.” It fulfills an advisory, monitoring, and coordinating role at Georgian Court University in planning and assessment matters and advises the President on the implementation and evaluation of the Georgian Court Strategic Plan and all aspects of institutional assessment. The committee’s responsibilities include annual evaluation of assessment plans and of progress toward achievement of the institution’s strategic initiatives and other planning objectives.
Members of the Institutional Effectiveness Committee for AY 2018-2019 include:
|Membership: Members of the Institutional Effectiveness Committee are appointed by the president: (January, 2018)|
|Meetings: The Institutional Effectiveness Committee meets on a monthly schedule|
|Director of Institutional Research and Decision Support||Wayne Arndt|
|Dean of Students||Amani Jennings|
|Assistant Vice President for Finance/Controller||Maureen Ryan-Hoffman|
|Associate Provost for Academic Program Development||Michael Gross, PhD|
|Assistant Vice-President for University Assessment||Janet Thiel, OSF, PhD (chair)|
|Past Chair of the Executive Officers of the Faculty Assembly||Andrew Weber, PhD|
|Other members as appointed by the President||Timothy Briles, Ed.D.|
Beth Hunt (Secretary)
- Oversee the University accreditation processes and procedures (MSCHE) that are aligned with the re-affirmation of accreditation.
- Maintain all university documentation related to accreditation, compliance, and unit effectiveness.
- Develop, coordinate, and report on the university’s unit evaluation processes and procedures.
- Develop, coordinate, and report on the university’s assessment of its institutional goals.
- Support the Institutional Effectiveness Committee in the execution of its duties.
- Coordinate the processes related to the university’s surveys on student satisfaction, institutional effectiveness, and program development.
- Collaborate with the provost for the development, oversight, recording, and reporting on undergraduate student learning through curricular and co-curricular program assessment.
- Collaborate with the provost for the development, oversight, recording, and reporting on graduate student learning through curricular and co-curricular program assessment.
- Collaborate with the provost for the training of faculty in assessment protocols, the dissemination of assessment and student survey results, and in strategic initiatives that require the use of data related to student satisfaction and achievement of learning outcomes.
- Assist the Academic Program Review and Assessment Committee (PRAC) in the processes of program evaluation and assessment planning as well as faculty ownership of assessment of student learning.
- Director of Institutional Research and Decision Support (indirect report)
- Associate Provost for Academic Program Development (indirect report)
- Director of Assessment (currently filled by AVPUA)
- Strategic Planning Support (currently Special Assistant to the President, indirect report)
- Co-Chairs of the Academic Program Review and Assessment Committee
- Administrative Assistant (part-time, indirect report)
Office of Institutional Assessment and Accreditation Documents:
- Georgian Court University Self-Study for MSCHE Reaffirmation of Accreditation – 2019 (PDF file)
- Georgian Court University Self-Study Executive Summary – 2019 (PDF file)
- University Assessment Plan and Guide – 1/23/2018 (PDF file)
- Assessment Plan for Student Learning
- Institutional Research Information Services: IRIS (on campus portal)
- Georgian Court Strategic Compass: 2018 (PDF file)
- Georgian Court Strategic Plan – Completion of 2012-2017 Plan (PDF file)
- Georgian Court Strategic Plan – 2012-2017 (PDF file) (completed)
- Annual Planning, Budget, and Assessment Calendar (available Summer 2018)