Succeed at Georgian Court University—and beyond—with the TRIO-Student Support Services (TRIO-SSS) program. This federally funded program provides a variety of services to foster your academic achievement and personal success, which corresponds with the university’s mission and Mercy core values. The program is a result of the Higher Education Act of 1965.
More than 200,000 students are being served by 1,069 TRIO-Student Support Services programs at colleges and universities nationwide. You have an opportunity to be one of the 160 students in GCU’s program.
Services are free to program participants, thanks to a grant from the U.S. Department of Education and support from GCU. The program requires as much time as you’re willing to put in—generally, the more the better. We make every effort to make things flexible for you, so it fits into your schedule.
Along with a healthy dose of encouragement, we also provide the following resources:
- basic skills instruction
- academic and graduate school counseling
- financial literacy training
- study skills workshops
- computer lab
- advocacy, mentoring, coaching, and support
- limited financial assistance for Federal Pell Grant-eligible students with documented need
Our goals are to:
- increase the number of eligible students who successfully complete a program of study at the postsecondary level;
- provide support services that will increase retention and graduation rates;
- foster an institutional climate supportive of the success of students; and
- improve financial and economic literacy.
To qualify for this program, students must:
- be a citizen or national of the United States or meet the residency requirements for federal student financial aid,
- be enrolled at GCU as a full-time undergraduate, and
- have a need for academic support.
Students must also meet one or more of the following criteria:
- a first-generation college student, or
- meet federal income guidelines, or
- have a physical or learning disability.
To apply, fill out the form below, or apply in person at the TRIO-SSS office (assistance is provided if needed). We are on the second floor of the Casino—use the side door across from the library, turn right, and go up the stairs.All of us have areas of strength as well as areas that we need to improve. Remember, if you need assistance with your study skills, you can attend one of our study skills workshops or schedule an appointment with a TRIO-SSS professional.
Here are a few resources to assist you:
- How to Study
- Introduction to Memory Techniques
- Studying for Tests
- Effective Communication
- Improving Your Reading Skills
- Note Taking Made Easy
- SQ3R Study Method
- 5 Steps To Achieve Academic Success
Being prepared for your advising or tutoring session gives you the advantage you need to be successful. Use these tips before your semester or appointments to get the most out of them.
Be sure to check out page 19 in the GCU Magazine where TRIO-SSS Counts Its Successes!
Danielle Staten Lamb
Academic Specialist (English/Humanities)
Academic Specialist (Math)
Tutorial Coordinator/Academic Specialist (Science)
We’re Here for You—Contact Us
The TRIO-SSS program is run by a caring group of professionals committed to helping you. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to call 732-987-2610 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TRIO-SSS participants can sign up for tutoring and academic coaching at https://georgian.mywconline.com.