Jessica A. Lisa, Ph.D.
- 2015 Ph.D. Marine Science, Biological Sciences Virginia Institute of Marine Science
- 2007 B.S. Biology, Marine and Environmental Biology (Magna Cum Laude) Monmouth University
- 2004 A.A. Education, Brookdale Community College
- Aug 2021 – present Assistant Professor of Biology, Georgian Court University, Dept of Biology
- Jan 2018 – Aug 2021 Teaching Instructor, Rutgers University, Dept of Biochemistry and Microbiology
- Nov 2015 – Dec 2017 Postdoctoral Fellow, US EPA, Office of Research and Development
- June 2015 – Sept 2015 Postdoctoral Fellow, VIMS, Molecular Microbial Ecology Lab
- Jan 2013 – May 2015 Research Assistant, VIMS, Molecular Microbial Ecology Lab
- Sept 2010 – Jan 2011 Visiting Research Student Collaborator, Princeton University, Dept of Geosciences
- Aug 2008 – Dec 2012 Research Assistant, UNC Wilmington, Molecular Microbial Ecology Lab
- Jan 2007 – Aug 2008 Research Associate, Monmouth University, Urban Coast Institute
- June 2006 – Aug 2006 Endangered & Nongame Species Intern, NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife
- Aug 2021 – present Microbiology, Advanced Microbiology, Biological Literature
- Jan 2018 – Aug 2021 General and Analytical Microbiology, Microbial Ecology, Microbial Products in a Sustainable Garden State and Beyond, Rutgers University
- Aug 2017 – Dec 2017 General Microbiology, University of West Florida, Adjunct Instructor
- July 2011, 2012 Introduction to Molecular Biology, UNC Wilmington Marine Quest
- Fall 2011 – Spring 2012 Principles of Biology: Cells, UNC Wilmington, Graduate Teaching Assistant
- Fall 2008 – Spring 2009 Microbiology of Human Diseases, UNC Wilmington, Graduate Teaching Assistant
Research / Creativity Interest Area
Response of the gut microbiome of Caenorhabditis elegans to pharmaceuticals and personal care products
Use of microbial communities as early indicators of ecosystem health
Impacts of dissolved oxygen dynamics on the structure and function of estuarine microbial communities
- Structure and function of microbial communities involved in estuarine nitrogen cycling
Peer Review Publications
- Lisa JA and MM Häggblom (In revision) Industrial pollutants. A child-centric microbiology education framework. Editor Kenneth Timmis
- Lisa JA and MM Häggblom (Accepted) The pollution crisis. A child-centric microbiology education framework. Editor Kenneth Timmis
- Lisa JA, B Song, M Semedo, KA Duernberger, and CR. Tobias (2022) Determining geochemical and microbial parameters underlying geographic patterns of denitrification and anammox rates in the New River Estuary, North Carolina, USA. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 275 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2022.107973.
- Van Etten, J., Keddis, R., Lisa, J., & Rauschenbach, I. (2022). The Diverse World of Protists—an Ideal Community with which to Introduce Microscopy in the Microbiology Teaching Laboratory. Journal of Microbiology and Biology Education, Tips and Tools 23:1 1-3. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1128/jmbe.00142-21.
- Nestlerode, JA, BD Blackwell, JA Lisa (2019) Bioassessment of a northwest Florida USA estuary using benthic macroinvertebrates. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management. DOI: 10.1002/ieam.4209.
- Lisa JA, A Jayakumar, BB Ward, and B Song (2017) nirS-type denitrifying bacterial assemblages respond to environmental conditions of a shallow estuary. Environmental Microbiology Reports 6: 766-778.
- Lisa JA, B Song, CR Tobias, DH Hines (2015 Invited Feature) Genetic and biogeochemical investigation of sedimentary nitrogen cycling communities responding to tidal and seasonal dynamics in Cape Fear River Estuary. Estuarine, Coastal, and Shelf Science 167: A313-A323.
- Hines D, JA Lisa, B Song, CR Tobias, SR Borrett (2015) Estimating the effects of seawater intrusion on an estuarine nitrogen cycle by comparative network analysis. Marine Ecology Progress Series 524: 137-154.
- Song B, JA Lisa, CR Tobias (2014) Linking DNRA community structure and activity in a shallow lagoonal estuarine system. Frontiers in Microbiology 5: 1-10.
- Lisa JA, B Song, CR Tobias, KA Duernberger (2014) Impacts of freshwater flushing on anammox community structure and activities in the New River Estuary, USA. Aquatic Microbial Ecology 72: 17-31.
- Hines D, JA Lisa, B Song, CR Tobias, SR Borrett (2012) A network model shows the importance of coupled processes in the microbial N cycle in the Cape Fear River Estuary. Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science 106: 45-57.
- Witty M, J Nickles, J Lisa, J Tiedemann (2008) Ecology, DNA and the future of Microbial Source Tracking. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 201: 219-232.
- Pastore, A.*, Daneshgar, P., & Lisa, J. (2022, March 17-19). Exploring Ghost Forests: Assessing the Impact of Storm Surge and Sea-Level Rise on Coastal Forests in New Jersey. [Oral presentation]. Atlantic Estuarine Research Society (AERS). Virtual. https://www.aers.info/Next-Meeting.
- Hahn, A., Bis, J., Glancz, Y., Glatzer, C., Shkarofsky, E., Parry, J., Nelson, A., & Lisa, J. (2022 April 26). Establishment and Response of the Gut Microbiome of Caenorhabditis Elegans, a Model Organism, to Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products. [Poster presentation]. Georgian Court University (GCU), Academic Excellence Day. https://georgian.edu/academics/student-faculty-research/.
- DiMedici, A., Hahn, A., Morris, P., Paczesny, K., Nelson, A., & Lisa, J. (2022 April 26). Determining the Influence of Ampicillin on Environmental Microbial Communities. [Poster presentation]. Georgian Court University (GCU), Academic Excellence Day. https://georgian.edu/academics/student-faculty-research/.