Dr. Paul Cappucci
- Tuesday: 12:30-2:00
- Wednesday: 3:30-5:00
- Thursday: 10-11
- And by appointment
- Ph.D. in English Literature, Drew University, Madison, NJ
- M.Phil. in English Literature, Drew University, Madison, NJ
- M.A. in English Literature, The College of New Jersey, Trenton, NJ
- B.A. in English Literature, King’s College, Wilkes-Barre, PA
- Professor, Department of English, 2000-Present
- Courses taught at GCU: EN111: College Prose Composition, EN112: College Prose Composition II, EN113: American Literature I, EN114: American Literature II, EN115: World Literature I, EN116: World Literature II, EN201 / EN300: Introduction to Literary Studies, EN240: The Short Story, EN305: Understanding Poetry, EN310: Modern American Drama, EN321: The American Renaissance, EN322: American Realism, EN323: Modern American Literature, EN324: Contemporary American Literature, EN327: “Make It New”: 20th American Poetry, EN405: Internship, EN420: War in American Literature, EN425: Major Writers, EN429: Bookends Seminar, EN430: Senior Seminar II, GEN400: Visioning a Future
- Director, General Education Program (June 2014-July 2019)
- Chair, General Education Task Force (2011-2014)
- Chairperson, Department of English ( Jul-Dec. 2008; 2009-2013)
Research / Creativity Interest Area
- William Carlos Williams, Frank O’Hara, and the New York Art Scene. Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 2010.
- William Carlos Williams’s Poetic Response to the 1913 Paterson Silk Strike. Edwin Mellen Press, 2002.
- “’There is a kind of revival you would dig taking place’: William Carlos Williams and the ‘Beat’ Issue of The Black Mountain Review.” The Beats, Black Mountain, and New Modes in American Poetry, edited by Matt Theado, Liverpool University Press / Clemson University Press, 2021, pp. 47-61.
- “‘Trying to Build on Their Elders’ Work’: The Correspondence of Donald Allen and William Carlos Williams.” The New American Poetry: 50 Years Later, edited by John R. Woznicki, Lehigh University Press, 2014, pp. 15-28.
- “Jackson Pollock’s ‘Blobs of Paint’ in the Poetry of William Carlos Williams and Frank O’Hara.” The Legacy of William Carlos Williams: Points of Contact, edited by Ian Copestake, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2007, pp. 116-133.
- Co-Editor with Daniel Morris. William Carlos Williams and the Visual Arts. Special Issue of the William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 32. no. 1-2, 2015.
- “The Revelation on a ‘side street’: William Carlos Williams, Selden Rodman, and the Archival Recovery of ‘Moldy Skeleton’.” William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 37, no. 2, 2020, pp. 198-210.
- “Temples and Ghost Shrines: William Carlos Williams, Gary Snyder, and Rediscovering the Sacredness in Urban Waters.” Modern Language Studies, vol. 49, no. 1, 2019, pp. 35-49.
- “’Pop! So, you’re not dead!’: Reimagining Loss in William Carlos Williams’s Burning the Christmas Greens’ and ‘The Sparrow.’” William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 36, no. 1, 2019, pp. 14-23.
- Cappucci, Paul R. and Daniel Morris “Guest Editors’ Introduction to volume 32.” William Carlos Williams Review , vol. 32, no. 1-2, 2015, pp. 1-16.
- “Improvisation at the Armory Show: An Approach to Understanding Wassily Kandinsky’s Influence on the Writings of William Carlos Williams.” William Carlos Williams Review , vol. 32, no. 1-2, 2015, pp. 81-94.
- “A Libretto in Search of Music: The Strain of Collaborative Creation in William Carlos Williams’s The First President.” Journal of Modern Literature, vol. 36, no. 2, 2013, pp. 80-104.
- “‘A Blossoming of the Spirit’: William Carlos Williams, Emanuel Romano, and the Authenticity of Artistic Expression.” William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 29, no. 1, 2009, pp. 15-27.
- “2009 Symposium Commentary.” William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 29, no. 1, 2009, pp. 94-95.
- “Down from the Crow’s Nest: Herman Melville’s Battle Pieces and Aspects of the War.” War, Literature, and the Arts, vol. 17, no. 1-2, 2005, pp. 162-169.
- “The ‘Wash’d-up drift” of Poetic Ideals: Disunion as Poetic Failure in Walt Whitman’s ‘As I Ebb’d with the Ocean of Life.” Journal X, vol. 8, no. 1, 2003, pp. 33-41.
- “‘And Everyone and I Stopped Breathing’: William Carlos Williams, Frank O’Hara, and the News of the Day in Verse.” Papers on Language and Literature, vol. 39, no. 4, 2003, pp. 375-389.
- “Negotiating the 1930s: William Carlos Williams’s Struggle with Politics and Art on his Way to Paterson.” The Journal of Imagism, Fall 1999, pp. 3-21.
- “Depicting the Oblique: Emily Dickinson’s Poetic Response to the Civil War.” War, Literature, and the Arts, vol. 10, no. 1, 1998, pp. 260-273.
- “Wallace Stevens’ `God is Good. It is a Beautiful Night.’” The Explicator, vol. 55, no. 1, 1996, pp. 32-34.
- “Interview with Paul Mariani on the Fortieth Anniversary of A New World Naked.” William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 38, no.2, 2021, pp. 89-97.
- Transatlantic Avant-Gardes: Little Magazines and Localist Modernism by Eric B. White. William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 31, no. 1, 2014, pp. 84-88.
- Six Modernist Moments in Poetry by David Young. William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 27, no. 1, 2007, pp. 80-83.
- Reprinting of The Great American Novel. William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 25, no. 1, 2005, pp. 93-94.
- Editorial Board, William Carlos Williams Review, 2021
- Virginia Graham Award for Teaching Excellence, 2011
- National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Scholar, Concord, MA (2015)
- Co-moderator, Sigma Mu, Chapter of Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society, 2013-Present
- Moderator, Fountain Spray Literary Magazine, 2001-2005
- Moderator, Class of 2004, 2003-2004