Dr. Paul Cappucci
Professor of English
School of Arts and Sciences
Raymond Hall 210
- Wednesday: 2:00-4:00
- Thursday: 10:00-12:00
- And by appointment
- Ph.D. in English Literature, Drew University, Madison, NJ
- M.Phil. in English Literature, Drew University, Madison, NJ
- M.A. in English Literature, The College of New Jersey, Trenton, NJ
- B.A. in English Literature, King’s College, Wilkes-Barre, PA
- Professor, Department of English, 2000-Present
- G.C.U. Courses Taught: EN111: College Prose Composition, EN113: American Literature I, EN114: American Literature II, EN115: World Literature I, EN116: World Literature II, EN300: Gateway to Literary Studies, EN240: The Short Story, EN305: Understanding Poetry, EN310: Modern American Drama, EN321: The American Renaissance, EN322: American Realism, EN323: Modern American Literature, EN324: Contemporary American Literature, EN327: “Make It New”: 20th American Poetry, EN420: American Writers and the World Wars, EN425: Major Writers, EN429: Bookends: A Global Literature Seminar, EN430: Senior Seminar II, GEN400: Visioning a Future
- English Internship (EN405) Course Coordinator: 2011-Present
- 2020 Study Abroad Trip Co-Leader: World Wars and Holocaust (Belgium, France, Germany)
- Chair, Faculty Assembly (2022-2023)
- Director, General Education Program (June 2014-July 2019)
- Chair, General Education Task Force (2011-2014)
- Chairperson, Department of English (Jul-Dec. 2008; 2009-2013)
Research / Creativity Interest Area
- William Carlos Williams, Frank O’Hara, and the New York Art Scene. Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 2010.
- William Carlos Williams’s Poetic Response to the 1913 Paterson Silk Strike. Edwin Mellen Press, 2002.
- “’There is a kind of revival you would dig taking place’: William Carlos Williams and the ‘Beat’ Issue of The Black Mountain Review.” The Beats, Black Mountain, and New Modes in American Poetry, edited by Matt Theado, Clemson University Press, 2021, pp. 47-61.
- “‘Trying to Build on Their Elders’ Work’: The Correspondence of Donald Allen and William Carlos Williams.” The New American Poetry: 50 Years Later, edited by John R. Woznicki, Lehigh University Press, 2014, pp. 15-28.
- “Jackson Pollock’s ‘Blobs of Paint’ in the Poetry of William Carlos Williams and Frank O’Hara.” The Legacy of William Carlos Williams: Points of Contact, edited by Ian Copestake, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2007, pp. 116-133.
- Co-Editor with Daniel Morris. William Carlos Williams and the Visual Arts. Special Issue of the William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 32. no. 1-2, 2015.
- “‘No One Can Instruct You’: Denise Levertov, William Carlos Williams, and a New Direction in The Jacob’s Ladder.” Renascence: Essays on Literature and Ethics, Spirituality, and Religion, vol. 75, no. 3-4, 2023, pp. 175-193.
- “The Revelation on a ‘side street’: William Carlos Williams, Selden Rodman, and the Archival Recovery of ‘Moldy Skeleton’.” William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 37, no. 2, 2020, pp. 198-210.
- “Temples and Ghost Shrines: William Carlos Williams, Gary Snyder, and Rediscovering the Sacredness in Urban Waters.” Modern Language Studies, vol. 49, no. 1, 2019, pp. 35-49.
- “’Pop! So, you’re not dead!’: Reimagining Loss in William Carlos Williams’s Burning the Christmas Greens’ and ‘The Sparrow.’” William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 36, no. 1, 2019, pp. 14-23.
- Cappucci, Paul R. and Daniel Morris “Guest Editors’ Introduction to volume 32.” William Carlos Williams Review , vol. 32, no. 1-2, 2015, pp. 1-16.
- “Improvisation at the Armory Show: An Approach to Understanding Wassily Kandinsky’s Influence on the Writings of William Carlos Williams.” William Carlos Williams Review , vol. 32, no. 1-2, 2015, pp. 81-94.
- “A Libretto in Search of Music: The Strain of Collaborative Creation in William Carlos Williams’s The First President.” Journal of Modern Literature, vol. 36, no. 2, 2013, pp. 80-104.
- “‘A Blossoming of the Spirit’: William Carlos Williams, Emanuel Romano, and the Authenticity of Artistic Expression.” William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 29, no. 1, 2009, pp. 15-27.
- “2009 Symposium Commentary.” William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 29, no. 1, 2009, pp. 94-95.
- “Down from the Crow’s Nest: Herman Melville’s Battle Pieces and Aspects of the War.” War, Literature, and the Arts, vol. 17, no. 1-2, 2005, pp. 162-169.
- “The ‘Wash’d-up drift” of Poetic Ideals: Disunion as Poetic Failure in Walt Whitman’s ‘As I Ebb’d with the Ocean of Life.” Journal X, vol. 8, no. 1, 2003, pp. 33-41.
- “‘And Everyone and I Stopped Breathing’: William Carlos Williams, Frank O’Hara, and the News of the Day in Verse.” Papers on Language and Literature, vol. 39, no. 4, 2003, pp. 375-389.
- “Negotiating the 1930s: William Carlos Williams’s Struggle with Politics and Art on his Way to Paterson.” The Journal of Imagism, Fall 1999, pp. 3-21.
- “Depicting the Oblique: Emily Dickinson’s Poetic Response to the Civil War.” War, Literature, and the Arts, vol. 10, no. 1, 1998, pp. 260-273.
- “Wallace Stevens’ `God is Good. It is a Beautiful Night.’” The Explicator, vol. 55, no. 1, 1996, pp. 32-34.
- “Interview with Paul Mariani on the Fortieth Anniversary of A New World Naked.” William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 38, no.2, 2021, pp. 89-97.
- Transatlantic Avant-Gardes: Little Magazines and Localist Modernism by Eric B. White. William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 31, no. 1, 2014, pp. 84-88.
- Six Modernist Moments in Poetry by David Young. William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 27, no. 1, 2007, pp. 80-83.
- Reprinting of The Great American Novel. William Carlos Williams Review, vol. 25, no. 1, 2005, pp. 93-94.
- Co-moderator, Sigma Mu, Chapter of Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society, 2013-Present
- Editorial Board, William Carlos Williams Review, 2021-Present
- National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Scholar, Concord, MA (2015)
- Virginia Graham Award for Teaching Excellence, 2011
- Moderator, Fountain Spray Literary Magazine, 2001-2005
- Moderator, Class of 2004, 2003-2004