School of Business and Digital Media
Communication, Graphic Design, and Multimedia
Jeffries Hall 204A
MW 10:00 am - 12:00 pm TR 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
- PhD., Culture, Communication, & Media Studies
- B.A., Media & Communication Studies
- B.A., English
- Writing on the Web
- Fundamentals of Communication
- News Writing & Reporting
- Introduction to Public Relations
- Glam, Grand Slams, and Kicking Out the Jams: Studying Subcultures in Media (Saint Joseph’s University & Chestnut Hill College)
- Civic Media (Chestnut Hill College)
- Media & Society (Chestnut Hill College)
- Speech & Criticism in a Democratic Society (Ursinus College)
- Theory & Models of Communication (Drexel University & Chestnut Hill College)
Research / Creativity Interest Area
- Contemporary Punk Rock Communities: Scenes of Inclusion and Dedication. Lanham, Maryland: Lexington Books.
- Book Review: Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language, Explorations in Media Ecology, 19:2, 225-228.
- Book Review: What We Talk About When We Talk About Books: The History and Future of Reading, Explorations in Media Ecology, 19:1, 113-115.
- “I thought it was a very punk rock thing to say”: NOFX’s (sort-of) public apology and (in)civility in defining contemporary punk rock in online spaces, Punk & Post-Punk, 9:1, 7-22.
- Conference Review: Curating Resistance: Punk as Archival Method, February 9-10, University of California, Los Angeles, Punk & Post-Punk, 7:2, 291-300.
- “It feels like summer in October”: A study of Gainesville’s Fest, Punk & Post-Punk, 7:2, 235-247.
- McClain, J.M., & Bernhard, E.M. “Against the Grain”: How music journalism frames Bad Religion as unconventional, Rock Music Studies, 3:3, 300-312.
- “Roundtable Discussion: Green Day’s American Idiot,” Anne Cecil (Ed.). The Mid Atlantic Almanack: The Journal of the Mid-Atlantic Popular & American Culture Association, 163-169.
- Bad Religion & the Burlesque: Framing Extremism and Conspiracy Theory in “The Kids are Alt-Right” and “Do the Paranoid Style”
- Editorial Board Member, July 2019 – present.
- US East Coast Representative, May 2019 – present.