Assistant Professor of Digital Communication
School of Business and Digital Media
Communication, Graphic Design and Multimedia
Jeffries Hall 204A
Tuesday 11:00-1:00 Wednesday 10:00-12:00
Drexel University, Philadelphia PA
- PhD., Culture, Communication, & Media Studies
- B.A., Media & Communication Studies; English
- Public Relations Writing
- Digital News Editing
- Writing for the Mass Media
- Communication Theory & Research
- Digital Communication & Professional Practices
- Public Speaking
- Brand Strategy in the Digital Age
- Writing on the Web
- Fundamentals of Communication
- News Writing & Reporting
- Introduction to Public Relations
Research / Creativity Interest Area
- Contemporary Punk Rock Communities: Scenes of Inclusion and Dedication. Lanham, Maryland: Lexington Books.
- “Milo goes to college, Ellen goes to grad school: The series of events that turned an afterschool hobby into a hardcore pursuit of punk rock,” Hardcore Research: Punk, Practice, Politics
- Bad Religion and the Burlesque: Framing Extremist Rhetoric in “The Kids are Alt-Right,” Rock Music Studies, 10(1).
- Book Review: Punk Gender and Ageing: Just Typical Girls? Punk & Post-Punk, 11(1), 119-121.
- Book Review: Do What You Want: The Story of Bad Religion, Punk & Post-Punk, 10:2, 320-323.
- Book Review: Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language, Explorations in Media Ecology, 19:2, 225-228.
- Book Review: What We Talk About When We Talk About Books: The History and Future of Reading, Explorations in Media Ecology, 19:1, 113-115.
- “I thought it was a very punk rock thing to say”: NOFX’s (sort-of) public apology and (in)civility in defining contemporary punk rock in online spaces, Punk & Post-Punk, 9:1, 7-22.
- Conference Review: Curating Resistance: Punk as Archival Method, February 9-10, University of California, Los Angeles, Punk & Post-Punk, 7:2, 291-300.
- “It feels like summer in October”: A study of Gainesville’s Fest, Punk & Post-Punk, 7:2, 235-247.
- McClain, J.M., & Bernhard, E.M. “Against the Grain”: How music journalism frames Bad Religion as unconventional, Rock Music Studies, 3:3, 300-312.
- “Roundtable Discussion: Green Day’s American Idiot,” Anne Cecil (Ed.). The Mid Atlantic Almanack: The Journal of the Mid-Atlantic Popular & American Culture Association, 163-169.
Punk & Post Punk (Intellect)
- Editorial Board Member, November 2022 – present
- Editorial Board Member, July 2019 – present
- President – US Affiliate, August 2023 – present