Bachelor’s in Social Work
Complete part-time or full time with evening classes at Brookdale and online
Prepare to positively impact hundreds of lives with a Bachelor of Science in Social Work from Georgian Court University (GCU). GCU’s BSW program enables you to become a change agent in today’s world—especially for the disadvantaged. Founded by the Sisters of Mercy, we prepare social workers for successful and purposeful careers.
You’ll learn from seasoned faculty, many of whom are licensed clinical social workers and have their own private practice. You’ll explore human behavior, critical thinking, ethics, values, clinical practice, social and economic justice, and more. Upon graduation, students can apply for certification with the State Board of Social Work Examiners or prepare for graduate study. Upward of 70 percent of GCU social work graduates go on to earn their Master of Social Work (MSW).
This program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), which independently verifies that it meets the highest academic standards.
Social Work Program Highlights
Cost Per Credit
One of the region’s most affordable and discounted by 25% compared to GCU’s full-time programs
We generously accept up to 90 credits for a faster degree completion experience
Minutes or Less
For in-person classes, our Brookdale location is a short drive from most locations in northern central NJ
Avg. Student-to-Faculty Ratio
Small class sizes mean personalized attention from world-class faculty who want to help you succeed
Online to In-Person Learning
This program blends online coursework with in-person classes at our convenient Brookdale location
Access to Resources
GCU’s part-time students get full access to tutoring, librarian, and career placement services
Request More Info
Have a question? Get in touch. You can also schedule a 15- to 30-minute virtual chat with one of our representatives; they can review your unofficial transcript(s) and determine how many credits count toward your GCU degree.
To earn a B.S.W. in Social Work, you must successfully complete at least 120 credits, including:
- General Education courses
- Social work courses (57 credits)
- Other courses (19–21 credits)
For more information on program requirements, consult the Undergraduate Catalog.
- SW203 Introduction to Social Welfare (3)
- SW253 Human Rights & Social Justice (3)
- SW295 Communication Skills in Social Work (3)
- SW305 Human Behavior & Social Environment I (3)
- SW306 Human Behavior & Social Environment II (3)
- SW310 Methods of Social Work Research (3)
- SW313 Social Work Practice I (3)
- SW323 Social Policy (3)
- SW361 Mental Health (3)
- SW390 Macro Junior Field Education (3)
- SW414 Social Work Practice II (3)
- SW440 Advanced Policy & Social Work Practice (3)
- SW496 Senior Field Education in Social Work (6)
- SW497 Advanced Senior Field Education in Social Work (6)
- Choice of courses (pick three):
- SW213 Selected Topics in Social Work (3)
- SW220 Human-Animal Bond (3)
- SW240 Addictions (3)
- SW251 Family Systems (3)
- SW265 Child Welfare (3)
- SW466 Independent Study in Social Work (3)
- Any gerontology class (3)
- SO101 Principles of Sociology (3)
- BI111 Life: Human Biology (4)
- Choice of courses (pick one):
- EN111 Academic Writing & Research I (3)
- EN221 Argument: Rhetoric & Research (3)
- MA103 Making Sense of Data: Statistical Thinking (3)
- PS111 Introduction to Psychology (3)
- Choice of courses (pick one option):
- SP101;102 Elementary Spanish I & II Online (6)
- SP105;106 Beginning Everyday Spanish I & II (6)
- One semester of intermediate Spanish (3)
Note: Spanish is required to fulfill the language requirement, however another language can be substituted with the approval of the department chairperson.
Tuition is just $564 per credit. Students enrolling at Brookdale are encouraged to complete a minimum 12 credits per term; therefore estimated annual tuition is $13,536. Full time or part time study may be an option, depending on program and course availability.
In-person coursework takes place at the Northern Monmouth Higher Education Center, 1 Crown Plaza, Hazlet, NJ, which is Exit 117 off the Garden State Parkway. Georgian Court University shares this convenient “satellite” location with Brookdale Community College.
The Center is a modern, 29,000-square-foot facility with smart classrooms, science labs, faculty offices, a computer lab, a student lounge, study spaces, and plenty of parking.
GCU offers a streamlined enrollment process. We require only:
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges/universities (or high school for those with less than 24 credits)*
*Please note that students may apply ─ and be conditionally accepted ─ using their unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts can be provided prior to matriculation.